Local IT staff can use these resources when assisting employees in their departments with MFA enrollment.
Before you enroll in MFA, you'll need to have a few things ready:
- Your UCLA Logon ID/password
- A device (smartphone, tablet, cellphone, landline)
- An Apple ID username/password or Google Play Store username/password
If you have a second device, it's helpful to register that also, just in case your primary device is lost.
- What if none of my devices work?
- What alternative devices can I enroll if phone access is difficult, too expensive, or unavailable to me?
We encourage the use of the Duo mobile app because it provides users with the most options. If data and text are limited, the Duo Mobile app also generates passcodes that the user can type in for access. A Duo token is also available, and staff can contact their local IT staff for more information.
- What do I do when I'm traveling?
- I lost my device/I bought a new device.
- Can I add multiple devices?
While tokens are not the recommended device for UCLA MFA, they can be purchased should individuals in your department or division require them. Duo hardware tokens cost $20 each. A token lasts for approximately 7 years. Each department is responsible for token purchase and administration for its employees. Tokens may be purchased (via BruinBuy) directly from Duo in blocks of 10. Detailed purchasing instructions are online.
It is recommended that departments track their enrollment rates. IT Services can provide each division with a report of the overall enrollment rate as well as the enrollment status of individual staff and faculty in their division.
Multi-Factor Authentication for UCLA Logon ID supports the following devices/methods:
- Push notification via the free Duo Mobile app on your smartphone or tablet
- SMS text messages via a cell phone
- Voice calls to a cell phone or landline
- Hardware token
The Duo Mobile app is free and downloadable from iTunes or Google Play. In addition to standard data or phone charges when using push notification, SMS text, and/or voice calls, using SMS text or the voice call option incurs a telephony charge from Duo Security. It costs approximately 1 penny per SMS text and 2 pennies per voice call. Departments may be responsible for telephony charges incurred by their employees.
Duo hardware tokens cost $20 each. A token lasts for approximately 7 years. Each department is responsible for token purchase and administration for its employees. Tokens may be purchased directly from Duo in blocks of 10.
Please contact the IT Security Office for details: email@example.com.
MFA for UCLA Logon
Protect accounts associated with your UCLA Logon ID by enrolling in multi-factor authentication (MFA) now.