Helpful Hints and User Guides
You can begin using Cognos by following some simple hints:
- Get your browser ready - Before you begin, you'll need to get your internet browser ready for interactive reporting. You can do so by enabling your browser to trust the CDW site.
- Familiarize yourself with Query Studio - Complete with screenshots and step-by-step instructions, our Helpful Hints for Cognos Query Studio outline basic techniques for creating your own ad-hoc reports.
- Try it yourself - Follow a few basic tips to create a sample finance query and see how easy it is to select items for your report, add filters to narrow down what you are looking for, and run.
- What about the data? - You will find specific documentation pertaining to individual data areas in the Campus Data Warehouse portal. When you log into https://cdw.qdb.ucla.edu, you may notice tabs at the top of your profile with the names of different data areas (e.g. Personnel and Payroll, Budget or Finance). Click on each tab to view the pre-authored reports available for you to run and additional documentation on how to use that data. You will only see tabs for data areas that you are authorized to view.
- Fiscal year end processing - Learn more about the FYE processing phases.
Connecting to QDB Database
Step One - Configure the SQL Server Driver
You will first need to make a one-time change to your workstation. This change will add the QDB Production SQL Server as a System Data Source in your Control Panel and will configure the SQL Server Driver. This only needs to be done the first time you connect to QDB; if you have already done this step, skip ahead to Step Two.